The People Strategy is the Canada Border Services Agency's (CBSA) roadmap for strengthening and reinforcing its commitment to its people. It helps focus our efforts and ensure we have the right people working in the right places, with the best tools and training. Our Strategy sets the strategic direction for people management and provides an overarching roadmap to guide leaders at all levels on how to invest in our people and realize our vision for our workforce. Together, we are developing our workforce, supporting leadership development and creating an enabling environment to provide effective tools and a healthy workplace for our employees and leaders. Here's our accomplishments so far.
One of the CBSA's projects, the Positive Spaces Initiative, was recognized with a 2016 Public Service Award of Excellence in the category of Employment Equity and Diversity. A lunch and learn session with over 130 participants from 14 federal organizations across Canada, was hosted by the team. The Initiative aims to create safer, more tolerant, and open-minded work environments for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, and questioning employees. Congratulations to all!
Canada Border Services Agency People Strategy
Accomplishments at a glance: Year 2 – Q1
1. Develop our workforce
A workforce achieving results for Canadians
- Objective: Get the right people in the right jobs and develop our talent to meet challenges and opportunities now and in the future
- Outcome: A strengthened workforce that achieves results for Canadians Protection, Service, Integrity
- Actions designed to: identify and develop
2. Support leadership
Leading employees effectively to advance Agency transformation
- Objective: Increase our leadership capacity and develop leaders who can advance change, provide clear expectations, assess results, and give timely feedback to their team
- Outcome: Outstanding leadership demonstrated at all levels
- Actions designed to: train, foster and reward
3. Create an enabling environment
Providing effective tools and a healthy workplace for employees and leaders
- Objective: Enable effective people management and modernize our human resources service delivery model, continue to develop a constructive labour relations environment and equip ourselves to leverage technology
- Outcome: A workplace that is respectful, healthy, and efficient, where people strive to excel
- Actions designed to: engage, invest and support
Comptrollership: Our success depends on our people!
- Commitment to manage change together and recognize successes
- Proactive engagement on issues of concern to employees
- Student recruitment targets 90% met – 7 Co-op students started in Y2 Q1!
- 360 degree feedback pilot underway
- "Essential to our success" Awards Program launched
- Launched "CB Talks" (i.e. employee information sessions) – 8 sessions and 78 participants to date!
Information, Science and Technology: Bringing people and innovation together!
- Developmental assignments initiative – plan
- Official languages guidelines and handbook
- ISTB Human Resources and Official Languages Planning and Reporting Network
- Plan designed for the Developmental Assignments Initiative – to be approved
- Official languages:
- Guidelines and Handbook finalized – to be approved
- Information sessions were held in the two largest Directorates
- First training intake for ISTB employees occurred
- Strategic communication calendar for 2016-2017 developed
- IT Community Generics: 90 % completed
Corporate Affairs: Fostering Employee Engagement!
- Low cost learning opportunities, such as lunch and learn sessions
- Team-building exercises, such 5 à 7", charity events, and yoga on Parliament Hill
- Used vacancies to give professional development and/or acting opportunities to staff
- Visits to Rigaud College
- Tour of CBSA Laboratory attended by 15 employees
- Three Tours to CBSA Front-line operations
Operations: We're bringing the People Strategy to life!
- Regional Senior Management Team (RSMT) of District Directors held two group working sessions with direct reports
- Town Hall sessions occurred in each District; RSMT identified four themes to develop through subsequent quarterly sessions
- Held a RSMT Plus session focused on "Better Communication with Employees"
- Identified three leads for the four themes referred to above. Small groups and plenary sessions have been planned to develop action plans to help the Branch improve in each area
Programs: Building the best workplace for our employees!
- Launch of Let's Talk newsletter to share Branch news and information for open and regular communication
- A new Branch Wiki page
- Peer to peer coaching pilot
- Launch of EX-change, an informal networking community to foster greater collaboration across the Branch
- Promoting use of both Official Languages through Coffee and Conversation, an initiative aimed at providing the opportunity for employees to practice their verbal skills
- Regular Town Halls and pizza lunches with the DG for new employees
- Launched a collective staffing process for the EC category (EC-06)
- Recently recruited several CO-01s under CO-01 Apprenticeship program
- Branch-wide and directorate-specific events during National Public Service Week including Treat and Greet with the VP and AVP and an all-staff Picnic-in-the-Park
- Refreshed of our internal governance for PB People Strategy working group
Internal Audit and Program Evaluation: Transforming by investing in our employees!
- Provided leadership development opportunities for staff members, including six acting assignments
- Used onboarding process to welcome and educate six new employees
- Engaged employees through all-staff meetings and methodological improvement meetings
- Invested in professional development, rotational assignments, credentialing and coaching/mentoring of staff
- Conducted lunch and learn sessions on the CBSA People Strategy, Best Practices for Starting Out with Data Analytics, and the Employee Assistance Program
- Finalized and communicated IAPED Standard Operating Procedures
- Team building activities during the National Public Service Week
Human Resources: Adapting to changing business needs!
- Held a CBSA Tech Expo at the CBSA College-main campus as part of the transformative initiative one|training. Over 200 BSO recruits participated!
- Held a President's Awards Ceremony and Town Halls for Headquarters and regional employees
- Revamping the PE Developmental Program (PDAP)
- Thirteen PDAP promotions
- Launched the One|Plan
- Successful completion of the Arming Initiative – 6,492 officers trained!
- Developed a Disciplinary Measures Framework and the Walk-the-Talk: Discussing Values and Ethics in the Workplace" tool
How HRB is Enabling Branches
- Develop our workforce
- College Way Forward
- Officer Induction Model Program
- Arming Initiative
- National Training Plan/National Training Standards
- Bilingual Capacity
- Support leadership
- Leadership Continuum
- Integrity Continuum
- Create an enabling environment
- Wellness Strategy
- Workforce Strategy Officer Use of Force Limitations
- HR Transformation: OneHR
- Date modified: