We are happy to provide general information on CBSA programs, services and initiatives. In return, we ask that you be relevant and respectful when interacting with us.
We cannot answer questions dealing with specific personal or business cases, nor can we process third party requests.
Beware: Scammers posing as CBSA employees
If you have received a call from 1-800-461-9999 or any other 1-800 number, it isn't the CBSA calling. CBSA employees do not contact the public by phone. This is a scam. Never give your social insurance number over the phone.
Learn more about how scammers pose as CBSA employees.
To report scams, please contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.
We will not open attachments or any links provided in an email due to security measures.
The Border Information Service (BIS) is an automated telephone service that provides general information in English or French on CBSA programs, services and initiatives through recorded scripts.
Officers are available Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (local time) except holidays, should callers require additional information.
TTY (for those with hearing or speech impairments)
Long distance charges apply
From a rotary-dial phone, you will be automatically transferred to an officer at the end of the recorded menu if you call during business hours.
When using a touch-tone phone, you must choose one of the following four options before pressing 0 to speak to an officer.
- Personal travel
- Business importation/exportation
- Exchange rates
- Coming or returning to Canada
You can use the following commands at any time during the recorded message.
- Press "star" * to return to the previous menu
- Press "pound" # to repeat the message
- Service description: Provide the option to speak with a BIS agent by pressing 0 during regular business hours – Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (local time) excluding holidays.
- Service standard: BIS agents will aim to answer calls within 60 seconds from the moment the client presses 0 to speak with an agent.
- Performance target: 80%
- Performance result for fiscal year 2018-19: The BIS agents answered 312,233 calls and met the service standard 76% of the time.
For more information on all service standards and performance results for previous years, refer to the CBSA Service Standards.
Canada Border Services Agency
- Visiting Canada (admissibility)
The CBSA is not responsible for determining admissibility or processing criminal rehabilitation to enter Canada. For more information please refer to Immigration and citizenship.
- Duties and taxes
- Importing and exporting a firearm or weapon into Canada
- Importing or traveling with pets
- Importing a vehicle
- In-transit travellers through Canada
- Personal exemptions
- Date modified: